The SB Post« Back to Blogs
Posted On: Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 5:51 PM
Santa Barbara is best known for the elements that are enjoyed in the light of day -- the sea, beaches, mountains, gardens, parks, etc. Contrary to popular belief, Santa Barbara does offer more than sunshine and roses! Yes, our nightlife scene is relatively mellow (unless you're a college student). But if you know where to go, there's plenty of good, clean fun to be had at night. In honor of the Winter Solstice, here's a rundown of 21 places to go and things to do after dark.
- Settle in for drinks at Joe's Café, a Santa Barbara institution (since 1928) on State Street.
- Belly up to the bar at Brophy Brother's for the catch of the day and cocktails overlooking the Harbor.
- Sip on local wines at Wine Cask Bar-Café (a.k.a. Intermezzo).
- Catch a show at SOhO Restaurant & Music Club.
- Monopolize the juke box at The Press Room.
- Play pool at Dargan's Irish Pub & Restaurant.
- Throw darts at James Joyce.
- Soak up the scene at Blue Agave.
- Dance the night away at Wildcat Lounge.
- Lounge the night away at Elsie's Tavern (hit the ATM first, it's a cash-only joint).
- See a burlesque performance at The Savoy.
- Go Italian at Arnoldi's Café, where dinner comes with a side of bocce ball.
- Channel "The Dude" at Zodo's Bowling & Beyond.
- People watch from the bar at Lucky's Steakhouse in Montecito.
- Star gaze at San Ysidro Ranch -- choose from The Stonehouse or the more casual Plow & Angel.
- Head to the hills for a movie at the Riviera Theatre, where the indie and foreign films play.
- Make it a double-feature at the West Wind Drive-In.
- Eat, drink and be merry at The Brewhouse.
- Tap into the arts scene at Red's Bar & Tapas in the Funk Zone.
- Mix, mingle and munch [on the sweet potato fries] at HobNob.
- Kick back and relax at Muddy Waters Café.