The SB Post« Back to Blogs
Posted On: Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 4:34 PM
I opened my email this morning and was excited to see the Community Environmental Council's April e-newsletter, with the headline, "Get Ready for Earth Month." With the official Earth Day Festival taking place April 21st and 22nd, April features a series of great events leading up to the big celebration and of course, every day truly is Earth Day in our true Ecotopia of Santa Barbara.
Some highlights include the Green Shorts Film Festival, which will take place this Friday, April 6th. Spend the evening with celebrities, filmmakers and fellow movie fans while watching an assortment of short films-all one- to two-minutes in length-that highlight sustainable living, energy independence and a green future. Walk the "green" carpet to catch the best in eco-filmmaking and party down at the After Party.
Help kick-off this year's Festival at the Opening Night Party on April 18th from 6:00pm - 10:00pm at the Oreana Winery & Tasting Room. There will be a live performance by Deer Leg with DJ Tuck B and special guest and local food provided by the O Street Food Truck. Tickets are $10 advance purchase or $15 at the door. Follow that up with a free presentation on global warming by James Lawrence Powell on April 19th at the Santa Barbara Library.
The official Earth Day Festival is a free event, taking place at Alameda Park. This year's highlights include:
- Bike World: Ride your favorite bike to the event and get a free bike check-up!
- Campus Point: Support the next generation of eco-lovers by heading over to Campus Point to hang with high school and college-based organizations and departments that promote environmental awareness and student engagement.
- Eco-Marketplace: Find green products, smart technology, cool gadgets, organic clothing and other fun, sustainably produced treats.
- Food and Drink: The Earth Day food court will feature local brew, wine and grub.
- Green Car Show: Now in its 13th year, the Santa Barbara Green Car Show is the largest collection of efficient and alternative-fueled vehicles between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Kid's Corner: Bring the entire family! Kid's Corner showcases over a dozen hands-on stations and workshops specially designed for children and their families.
- Live Green: Want to see what the world would look like if all buildings were super efficient, landscaping was sustainably designed, energy was produced from alternative sources and families ate garden-fresh from their own back yards? Then head to the Live Green area.
- Public Square: Visit your favorite non-profit organizations, government agencies and community-based projects working in the public interest.
- OzoKids: Los Angeles-based urban-Latino-hip-hop-funk band Ozomatli takes center stage on Sunday from 2:30 - 3:20 to perform a special family-friendly set geared toward performing for children and adults alike.
If you love Santa Barbara's plentiful Earth-friendly offerings, whether they be recreational, locavore or community-oriented, then make sure to celebrate Earth Day (and Month!) by participating in this year's Earth Day Festival and surrounding events and activities.