Santa Barbara Adventurer
Looking for adventure while in Santa Barbara? Here's a perfect itinerary for the adventurous spirit. Enjoy!
- Can't keep both feet on the ground? Certified guides from Adventure Company of Santa Barbara will take you on an unforgettable trip to scale the rockfaces of beautiful San Ysidro Canyon. Beginner to advanced classes offered; all gear is provided. Info: 805.884.9283.
- You worked up a mighty appetite and deserve some carbs. Chow down on the famous buttermilk pancakes at Esau's Cafe while watching old-school surfing movies. Info: 721 Chapala Street, 805.965.4416.
- Take a hike: Santa Barbara front-country trails are chock-full of waterfalls, flowing creeks, hot springs, natural pools and awesome views, such as the fantastic view of the Pacific from the top of Gaviota Peak. Take the full 6-mile hike or just go to the hot spring about a half-mile from the trailhead. Find more trails in Santa Barbara Hikes by Diane Soini, or for up-to-date trail availability and information, check out santabarbarahikes.com.
- Go aloft: Beginners fly tandem with an experienced pilot from Eagle Paragliding at Elings Park, or you can soar solo after an eight-hour day of instruction. Info: 805.968.0980.
- Learn to kayak. Paddling along Santa Barbara Harbor is a fun, easy and scenic introduction to the sport. Info: Paddle Sports of Santa Barbara, 117-B Harbor Way, 805.899.4925, kayaksb.com.
- Learn to surf. Santa Barbara's beaches are known for being safe and beginner friendly, making them the perfect place to get your feet wet when it comes to the art of wave riding. Curious? Explore Santa Barbara's surf spots a little deeper.
- Go for a horseback ride: The hills and valleys surrounding Santa Barbara offer beautiful scenery and local outfitters and guides offer a fun way to see it: on horseback! Saddle up and ride off into the sunset Santa Barbara-style.
Author: Maryann Hammers